Update: Looks like he hit his 5th HR of Spring Training tonight, and I couldn’t help but Gif that one too:
Check out the side view and five more blasts inside the article:
21 year old Javier Baez has been making writers cry joyful tears around the baseball world this March, and for those unaware, just one look at his swing will make you understand the immense potential he brings to the future middle infield of the Chicago Cubs.
I was able to track down three of his four HRs he has hit during spring training this year plus a few extra from 2013, and boy are they pretty to look at.
Here’s his first one off Marco Estrada:
Here’s the same dinger from the side:
Damn. His hands are incredibly fast through the zone, and that follow-through is oh-so sweet.
Unfortunately, Baez’ second HR wasn’t televised, so we’ll just have to imagine that blast. Here’s his third of the spring off what looks like a Randy Wolf changeup/fastball. This sure didn’t help Wolf rekindle his career in the majors:
Boy is he fun to watch. Here is his most recent one going opposite field off Alexi Ogando:
Are you drooling yet? For those who aren’t Cubs fans, Baez has been doing this for a while. He even had a two-HR game last Spring Training against the Royals, and yes, we have those too:
Here’s the side view of that blast:
Five innings later, he made Bruce Chen’s day worse by hitting his second blast of the day:
And from the side:
Wow. Wow. Did I mention he is only 21 years old and plays 2B/SS? Yeah.
Latest posts by Nick (see all)
- GIF Roundup 5/16-5/18: The Very Best Pitches From This Weekend’s Games - 05/19/2014
- SP In Review 5/16-5/18: Just Like He Drew It Up - 05/19/2014
- GIF of the Week 5/17 – Which of these 10 pitches was the Best Pitch of the Week? - 05/17/2014
- GIF Roundup 5/15 – The Very Best Pitches From Thursday Night’s Games - 05/16/2014
- SP In Review 5/15 – Eovaldi Dropped The Call - 05/16/2014