Offense sells tickets, but a hard fought pitching duel is an amazing sight to behold. Last night, Jose Fernandez and Alex Wood combined for 25 K and no BB in 16 IP. Fernandez relies on filthy raw stuff while Wood relies on great command and the deception he gets from his funky delivery. Hopefully, Wood and Fernandez will have many matchups like this one in the future.
We’re doing something a little different with the Roundup today: all pitches. Please let us know your thoughts, good or bad, in the comment section below.
Every weekday we’ll be conducting a poll to crown the Gif of the Day and each winner will be featured on Saturday where you can vote for your favorite Gif of the Week. Contact us on twitter and let us know which pitches you want us to Gif, and we’ll give you a shout-out on the site.
1. Jose Fernandez‘s Curveball - This pitch moves from the outside corner, to all the way out of the strikezone at the blink of an eye. It’s just not fair.
2. Alex Wood‘s Knuckle Curve - Wood’s stuff isn’t as mouth dropping as Fernandez, but there’s more than one way to skin a cat.
3. Gonzalez Germen‘s Changeup - Germen is far from a well known name, but he throws hard and has a nice changeup in the Mets’ bullpen. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s closing sooner rather than later.
4. Masahiro Tanaka‘s Splitter - Tanaka was effective again last night, and his splitter was a large reason why. Here’s two of them, one in slow motion. (Thanks to Reddit user NYKyle610 for the tip!)
5. David Price‘s Cutter - It was a good day for aces last night, and Price went the distance to get the Rays a win over the Twins.
6. Dellin Betances‘ Curveball - The Yankees’ bullpen has been a mixed bag this year, but Dellin has not been part of the problem. If he could ever command his fastball he has the stuff to be a high leverage reliever. This curveball froze David Ortiz. (Thanks to Reddit user akaSpac3 for the tip!)
7. Trevor Rosenthal‘s Fastball - Rosenthal has been a one pitch guy pretty much all year, foregoing his breaking ball or changeup much of the time. If he can put it on the black like this pitch to David Wright, he only needs one offering.
8. R.A. Dickey‘s Knuckleball - I think this ball has two full spins from hand to large catcher’s mitt. Ridiculous.
Vote for your favorite Gif of the day and make sure to check back on Saturday to vote for the Gif of the Week!
Latest posts by Max (see all)
- Random GIF – Dellin Betances Confuses Jose Tabata - 05/17/2014
- Random Gif – Tanaka’s Slider Causes Carlos Gomez To Lose His Head - 05/09/2014
- Random Gif – Jon Lester Gets Crazy Movement On This Cutter - 05/03/2014
- Random Gif – Michael Wacha Puts a Fastball Right On The Corner - 05/03/2014
- 2 Start Pitchers 5/5 – 5/11: Late in the Week - 05/02/2014